Thursday, August 29, 2013

crashed memoirs...

in a flash
of a second
my laptop...
 

just died
 one minute it's working
the next nothing
for a brief moment
i was in a panic
realizing the last
backup was several
months ago
i've been writing
often lately
as in late in the night
bearing my soul
to the black shiny dell
 for my fiftieth birthday
then i remembered
the last time a computer
crashed the data was
restored
 so i decided
to pack it up
and take it in for service
last night
 the tech called
my laptop failed
the hard drive crashed
data lost
gone forever
unless i want to spend
a thousand or more
and send it off to
a data recovery source
i wanted to cry
instead
 i confirmed i would
pick it up
as i clung to the
inanimate piece
of plastic tonight
i was comforted to know
it now secretly held
some of my darkest moments
my late night rants
my seventeen chapter
memoir
the one the publisher was
interested in
until i decided it
was not ready for
publication
at least not yet
maybe never
and that's when it hit me
this system crash
just maybe
 it was meant
to be
it's time to tightly close
that chapter in my life
let it go
what is
 was meant to be
what's not
 isn't worth the worry
the future is tomorrow
a new beginning
deserving of a brand new
hard drive
just waiting for
fresh ideas

No comments: